Mr. Flinger and I have challenged each other to a duel. With the upcoming elections upon us (yes, yes, I know, we’re all very very tired of the talk) we decided to take the bull by the horn, so to speak. To grab the ass by the donkeysack, as it where.
Basically, we’re giving ourselves a college assignment and I hope you’ll join us.
The assignment is thus: (Always throw in “thus” when giving out assignments making yourself look smarter and more intelligent in the process.)
1. Pick five topics from both candidates that you feel strongly about. These MUST be able to be researched on the main ticket site and can be supported elsewhere. But basically, you’ll want to scour the McCain and Obama sites for topics and ideals.
2. Figure out where each candidate stands on those five topics.
3. Find supporting information.
4. Intelligently form a paragraph (or two) stating why you are choosing to vote the way you are.
1. There is to be no name calling, no pushing in line, no grafiti of the parking lot.
2. Intelligent conversation only. Therefore, if you type in myspace language “U r a bitch because you r voting 4 McCain” we will point, laugh, and know you’re an idiot.
3. There are no winners. There are no losers.
4. I promise not to make us all sit together and sing “Kumbya Mylord” when this is over. But I do want to say that regardless of belief or personal preference, we can still drink beer together.
5. I don’t shoot moose.
No, wait, that’s not a rule. It’s just a fact.
So? You in? I’ll keep this entry as a sticky for two weeks. I’ll add my own discussion in the comments section as I get information. Feel free to post on your own site (Sign the linky!) or post in the comments here. My goal: I’m challenging myself to have an intelligent conversation with my husband and also you, my friends, (Yes, yes, I heard it.) that doesn’t end up in cussing and saying things like, “Um. BECAUSE.” Because.
<a href="http://mrs.flinger.us"><img src="http://mrs.flinger.us/images/challenge.gif"
Put the link to your discussion here, not just to your main site so we can follow along with your arguments. Or post in the comments. Whatever you want. Ready! Set! GO!
15 guests here now.
Ok! Here are my five things I’m researching:
1. Taxes on family/sm business/coporate
2. Bank Bailout / World Currency
3. Education (School voucher program / charter school / alternative to public schools)
5. Foreign Policies (Iraq/Iran/N.Korea)
By Mrs. Flinger on 2008 10 22
By Maria on 2008 10 23
Good for you!!!
Now, can I just count the numerous already too ridiculously long posts I’ve written on health care, gay rights, citizen activism, etc. etc. etc.?
By Miss Britt on 2008 10 23
Very risky topic! I told Laura that if I ever started a blog, these are the topics I would want to talk about, because I am an idiot and feed off the media which in my opinion is often one sided. She said I would be killed in a week. I will take the challenge, and mind my manners!
By Jeremy on 2008 10 24
I hope it’s OK, but I already did this post a long time ago, with 10 reasons. I will add it in the linky love above and get the ball rolling! Good for you for doing this.
By Aimee Greeblemonkey on 2008 10 26
I screwed it up. Blame it on Greeble!
By Nutmeg on 2008 10 30
Hi, St here. I’m not sure if I’ve ever commented here! I’ve only been reading for a few months but you’re in my reader and I plan on sticking with ya!
By St on 2008 11 03
Thanks so much for this!! I know I’m weighing in way late, but I got it in before the polls open at least.
By Sassy on 2008 11 03